Main Differences Between Bourbon Vs Scotch
Although Scotch and Bourbon share a smokey charred basis in flavor, they provide quite a different flavor in the final product.
- Bourbon is made from a mixture of grains with a minimum of 51% corn while Scotch is made mainly from malted barley
- Bourbon is considered easier to drink than Scotch, which has a very distinct flavor.
- Bourbon is bottled with an ABV of 40 while Scotch is bottled with an ABV between 60% and 75 %.
Scotch, on the other hand, must be aged for a minimum of 3yrs however there are still various scotch classifications similar to bourbon classifications that are out there. A great example of this would be single malt scotch which is a scotch whisky that is made using malted barley in pot stills in a single distillery.
Blended scotch whisky is produced by combining various malts with whiskey varieties in column stills. The location in which the alcohol is being fermented will also play a huge factor in determining how long it should be aged and what process should be used during the aging process.
How Strong Is A Bourbon And Water
Unlike mixed drinks, the alcohol content of bourbon and water is not going to be much different from drinking it straight. In general, you can expect a splash of water to weaken your whiskey by just a couple of percentage points. If youâre pouring a 100-proof whiskey, for instance, it may only be 48 percent ABV .
Also Check: Low Calorie Mixed Drinks With Vodka
Whiskey Vs Bourbon: Whats The Difference
Looking to become a connoisseur of alcoholic beverages, or maybe just curious? One of the most popular choices to spruce up a mixed drink is whiskey. More specifically, bourbon. But what is the difference?
Well help you improve your knowledge so that next time youre ready to choose a bottle, you have all the information you need.
Also Check: Whip Shots Vodka Infused Whipped Cream
Read Also: Captain Morgan Spiced Rum Drinks
It Doesn’t Need To Come From Kentucky
You may have heard that in order to be a bourbon, the whiskey has to be from Kentucky. That’s not quite truebourbon can be made outside that state. But to be designated a “Kentucky bourbon,” the spirit has to be both distilled and aged in Kentucky. The name “bourbon” even comes from old Bourbon, what is now Bourbon County, Kentucky. Most bourbon is made in Kentucky, but not all, so it has become synonymous with the spirit, much as the Champagne region in France is synonymous with champagne, even though sparkling wine using similar methods is produced elsewhere. So next time you order a bourbon, you know that what you’ll be getting in your glass isn’t just a whiskey, but a specific kind of whiskey.
Whats The Difference Between Scotch Whiskey And Bourbon
This might be common knowledge for some, but itâs worth a refresher before you go out and buy a bottle. Letâs start with a burning question we answered back in 2008: what makes a whiskey bourbon?
The law. While knocking back a dram of bourbon is a decidedly carefree exercise, making it is exceedingly technical and requires that the whiskey meet a rigid set of criteria. The Federal Standards of Identity for Bourbon stipulate what is and what isnÃ¢t bourbon. For a whiskey to call itself bourbon, its mash, the mixture of grains from which the product is distilled, must contain at least 51% corn. The mash must be distilled at 160 proof or less, put into the barrel at 125 proof or less, and it must not contain any additives. The distillate must be aged in a new charred oak barrel. If you distill a whiskey in your kitchen that meets all of these standards, congrats, youÃ¢ve made bourbon. Also, youÃ¢ve broken the law the ATF is probably outside your house right now.
The main difference between scotch and whiskey is geographic, but also ingredients and spellings. Scotch is whisky made in Scotland, while bourbon is whiskey made in the U.S.A, generally Kentucky. Scotch is made mostly from malted barley, while bourbon is distilled from corn. If youÃ¢re in England and ask for a whisky, youÃ¢ll get Scotch. But in Ireland, youÃ¢ll get Irish whiskey .
Don’t Miss: Van Gogh Dutch Chocolate Vodka
Whiskey Vs Bourbon Vs Scotch
After being prepared, the whiskey is distilled and bottled at 40% alcohol . Whiskeys such as bourbon and Scotch are made up of different types of whiskey. In the United States, the primary ingredient in bourbon is corn mash, whereas in Scotland, single malt Scotch is commonly made with malted barley.
A whiskey is a dark distilled spirit made from fermented grain mash or beer. The flavors of whiskey are oaky, grainy, vanilla, and caramel. These flavors vary greatly depending on the type and amount of ingredients used. Bourbon must have a mash bill that contains 51% corn and be aged in a charred American oak barrel otherwise, it will be referred to as a mash bill bourbon. This type of whiskey has a sweeter and smoother flavor, making it a popular choice for those who enjoy it. When it comes to color, the difference between scotch and bourbon is meaningless. The smoothness of scotch relative to bourbon is measured by the number of months or years aged in oak barrels. Longer the liquor is kept inside the wooden container, it will become lighter or smoother. Straight bourbons are typically aged for two years, while Scotch is typically aged for three years.
Scotch Vs Bourbon Which One Tastes Better
If youre trying to decide whether to purchase a good Scotch or a good bourbon, there are several things to consider.
While both Scotch and bourbon can have smokey, charred notes, they come about in different ways. For example, Bourbon draws its oaky, vanilla-like flavors from the charred surface of its cask, whereas Scotchs smoke comes largely from peat burned in the barley malting process. This doesnt mean that every Scotch has a peaty flavor, though, and in fact, only two of the five Scotch-producing regions are known for their signature peatiness.
Bourbon tends to have sweeter, more mellow characteristics, with vanilla, oak, caramel, grain, nutmeg, and cinnamon notes.
Scotch has a sharp, distinct flavor thats more of an acquired taste than bourbon. Youll find that blended Scotch is smoother and maltier with a spicy finish. Single malt Scotch tastes oaky and woody, with some peaty and smoky notes mentioned above.
Read Also: Red Wine Calories Per Glass
How To Make The Best Whiskey And Coke
The Whiskey and Coke is a variation on the Rum and Coke, which is itself a variation on the Cuba Libre. This easy highball cocktail of rum, cola and lime was born in Cuba in the early 1900s, and it quickly spread to America. The first record of whiskey being mixed with coke was 1907, so its a drink with a history!
Sure, you can make a Whiskey and Coke or Bourbon and Coke by pouring together whatever quantities youd like of whiskey and cola. But for the best version of this drinkwe have a few tips.
Bourbon Vs Scotch: Whats The Difference
Bourbon and Scotch are both types of whiskey: the former is produced in America and the latter in Scotland. Whisky is the correct spelling for the Canadian and Scottish versions, whereas whiskey is the correct spelling for American and Irish-made versions. Here are the technical differences in production:
- Bourbon is a specific type of American whiskey that is made from at least 51% corn and aged in oak barrels. The name bourbon comes from Bourbon Country, Kentucky: the region where the spirit was invented. Today over 95% of the bourbon produced is made in Kentucky.
- Scotch is whisky made in Scotland from either barley or a mix of grains. There are several types of Scotch. The most common are Single malt Scotch, a whisky thats from one distillery made from a mash of malted barley, and Blended Scotch, made by blending barrel-aged malt whisky and grain whisky.
Recommended Reading: Where To Buy Orange Wine
Bourbon Vs Scotch: How To Invest In Your Whiskey Of Choice
Bob Dylan and David Beckham have made their Scotch vs. bourbon choice with their own whiskey brands. See why they invest in this boozy asset.
Many companies on MoneyMade advertise with us. Opinions are our own, but compensation and in-depth research determine where and how companies may appear.See disclosure.
- Investments in whiskey have returned a staggering 441.30% in the past ten years, compared to the S& P 500’s 164.40% over the same period.
- Both Scotch and bourbon offer appealing investment possibilities.
- Investment apps like CaskX and Vinovest let you invest in bourbon or Scotch casks with the option of holding your investment or bottling your beverage.
The bourbon vs. Scotch rivalry usually comes down to flavor profile, heritage, and music preferences, but some of these historical investment returns may change your loyalties.
No one wants to drink cheap whiskey, but you might think twice about breaking the seal on your most expensive bottles, as well. As it turns out, they dont make enough of it to go around, meaning people are willing to pay up.
Raise a glass to making money.
What Makes A Whiskey Bourbon
The quick answer is the law. Making bourbon is an exceedingly technical exercise, and requires that the whiskey meet rigid criteria. The Federal Standard of Identify for Bourbon stipulate what is and what isnât bourbon. For a whiskey to call itself bourbon, its mashâthe mixture of grains from which the product is distilledâmust contain at least 51 percent corn. The rest of the mash is usually filled out with malted barley and either rye or wheat.
Then, the mash must be distilled at 160 proof or less and put into the barrel at 125 proof or less, It also can’t contain any additives. The distillate needs to be aged in a new charred oak barrel. If you distill a whiskey in your kitchen that meets all of these standards, congratsâyouâve made bourbon. Also, youâve broken the law. The ATF will be on its way shortly.
You May Like: What To Mix Rum Chata With
Alternatives To Bourbon & Scotch Whisky
Regular bourbon and scotch whisky arent the only types of whiskey options out on the market.
There are several other types of bourbon and scotch whiskey products out on the market that you can choose from all across the world. Below, were going to cover some of the most popular alternatives to bourbon and scotch whiskey so that you arent limited to a certain type of kind of alcoholic beverage.
How To Drink It Properly
There are many ways to drink whiskey that you may enjoy, including the possibility to play a switch game when it comes to scotch vs whiskey as the main ingredient.
- Whiskey on the rocks mix whiskey with ice, water, and sugar or honey to taste
- Whiskey straight up pour whiskey without any additions into a small glass or tumbler filled with large cubes of ice , then add an equal amount of cold water stir well, and drink neat
- Whiskey sour mix whiskey with lemon juice, sugar, and egg white
- Whiskey old-fashioned made by adding bourbon whiskey to a sugar cube or teaspoon of superfine sugar that has been doused in bitters and stirred until dissolved then add ice cubes, stirring well before straining the drink into a whiskey glass.
- Whiskey Manhattan made by adding whiskey to sweet vermouth, which has been doused in bitters and stirred until dissolved then add ice cubes, stirring well before straining the drink into a whiskey tumbler or whisky highball.
- Whiskey scotch sour mix scotch whiskey with lemon juice, sugar, and egg white
- Whiskey nocino made by adding whiskey to the mixture of coffee beans soaked in grape brandy for a few days then stir well before straining into an old-fashioned glass or whiskey tumbler on ice.
- Whiskey Irish coffee mix whiskey with hot coffee and sugar or honey to taste, then add ice cubes.
- Whiskey ginger mix whiskey with hot water and a teaspoon of powdered ginger until dissolved pour into an old-fashioned glass filled with ice cubes.
Read Also: Jose Cuervo Especial Silver Tequila
Scotch Needs To Be Aged For Three Years
To be considered scotch, the whisky must be allowed to age for at least three years inside an oak barrel. This is a legal obligation.
In addition to this, every bottle of scotch needs to display how old the whisky is. When a blend of whisky is used, the youngest whisky is used as the age.
When it comes to aging bourbon, this takes at least two years.
What Makes Whiskey Bourbon
This one’s a doozy, but bear with us. For a whiskey to be considered bourbon, the mixture of grains from which the product is distilled must be, at least, 51% corn, rye, wheat, malted barley, or malted rye grain. On top of that, the mixture must be stored in charred oak containers and cannot contain any additives. That law pretty much separates bourbon from everything else.
Read Also: Substitute For White Cooking Wine
The Real Difference Between Whiskey Bourbon Scotch And Rye
Editor in Chief for the Reserve blog
Ever wondered what the difference is between all those dark liquors? If you think they’re all the same, think again. Whiskeys come in many forms, and we’re here to help you distinguish between the three main types plus show you a few cocktails to remember them by!
From craft cocktails to giant whiskey lists, dark spirits have been cropping up on more and more menus across the country. Check out what makes each unique, and the next time you’re navigating the drink selection you’ll be well equipped to order the tasty spirit you really want.
Who should we thank for the different spellings of this popular spirit? Geography. “Whiskey” is produced stateside, while many other countries call their product “whisky.” However you choose to spell it, this distilled alcoholic beverage is made from fermented grain mash and typically aged in charred white oak casks, giving it its distinctive brown color. Whiskey is a broad category of liquor and can have lots of differences in color, taste and smell.
Washington D.C.’s The Pig, with over 70 choices on its menu, celebrates differing shades and nuanced flavors across a variety of whiskeys — some perfect for sipping solo and others ideal for incorporating into a mixed drink.
Bourbon Vs Scotch Whisky: What Makes Them So Different
If youre reading this, theres likely a chance that you enjoy the occasional whiskey. It makes sense. Whiskey is the darling of the drinks world for a while now. Folks are learning everything they can about their favorite barrel-aged, cereal-based tippleand there are so many types to choose from! There are a lot of differences between the various whiskey types around the world, but most folks tend to pit bourbon vs Scotch whisky when claiming a favorite style.
An aversion or adoration of peat, a love affair with big charred oak, or a distaste for bourbons fattened sweetness are a few of the explanations for ones particular predilections. Bourbon and Scotch whisky are figuratively oceans apart. The flavor differences between these two whiskeys are huge. But the reasons for these differences go well beyond bourbons use of at least 51% corn in the mash. In fact, some Scotch whisky blends arguably have more corn in them than some bourbons do, but thats another story.
Recommended Reading: Wine Tasting Near Pismo Beach
What Makes Scotch A Scotch
Generally speaking, Scotch whisky has strict legal requirements that distillers must meet before their whisky is allowed to be called Scotch. These laws were put in place to maintain the quality and reputation of Scotch. There are laws dictating many aspects of production, export, labeling, geography, and most importantly, distilling.
- Geographic region: To be considered Scotch, the whisky must be fermented, distilled, and aged in Scotland.
- Ingredients: The only ingredients allowed in the production of scotch are grains, yeast, water, and caramel coloring.
- Mash bill: Scotch must be distilled primarily of malted barley. Other cereal grains like corn, rye, and wheat may be added in blended scotch whiskies.
- Proof: Scotch must be distilled to at least 190 proof , and after aging, must be bottled at no lower than 80 proof .
- Aging: Scotch must be aged for no less than three years in oak barrels. When a bottle of Scotch displays an age statement, the youngest whisky blended in that bottle must be at least as old as the displayed age statement. It’s common for Scotch whiskies to have age statements of 12 years and higher.
Benefits Of Drinking Whiskey Over Other Liquors
When it comes to the difference between scotch and whiskey, one may notice that people tend to go with the latter more often in the name of health benefits. Whiskey drinks, like whiskey on the rocks, whiskey sour, and whiskey old-fashioned all have many different benefits.
- Drinking whiskey on the rocks has been shown to relieve pain from arthritis better than drinking any other drink that is commonly thought of as a cure for arthritis because whiskey contains an amino acid called glutamic acid which boosts the production of endorphins, i.e. feel good chemicals in our body.
- Whiskey old-fashioned has the same benefits as whiskey on the rocks.
- Whiskey sour is also beneficial because it contains a lot of vitamin C and a protein called cysteine, which helps prevent hair loss, but only in women.
- Lastly, not only does whiskey Irish coffee give you an energy boost from caffeine but its also proven to provide pain relief for headaches due to the whiskey content.
There is no such thing as bad whiskey because different whiskeys will taste differently depending on what type of grains they were made from, as mentioned when we discussed what is a scotch and what is bourbon previously.
- Whiskey has been used in recipes and to cure many ailments since the drink was discovered.
- Whiskey can be used in many different cooking recipes, from bread to salad dressings.
It seems that theres a lot more to what is whiskey than meets the eye!
You May Like: Order Champagne Online For Delivery